Saturday, March 29, 2008

Autism Advocacy in PA: state and family

Hello from my son Quinn's music class (they provide free wireless while I watch from the "parent room" outside the studio) -- and Quinn really enjoys the class, interaction with specific guides.

My wife forwarded a note about advocacy for HB1150, providing insurance for children with autism -- I recognize my friend from HS Tom Murt as a sponsoring PA Representative, and I am working to contact my Representative Greg Vitali (or ask that Tom give him a message, as if I had that kind of access :-).

On April 1, 2008 at 10 AM, Capitol Building Complex (Harrisburg), Hearing Room 1 of the North Office Building, the Pennsylvania Senate Banking & Insurance Committee will conduct a public hearing regarding the merits of HB 1150 -- there seems to be a balanced panel of advocates, including David Gates of the Pennsylvania Health Law Project -- I was initially surprised see Rachel Brooks, Miss Pennsylvania 2007, listed as an advocate due to her brother with autism -- from my quick read it seems not like another "throw money at it" approach, but a directed investment in helping kids with autism in an early (and thus efficient) way -- more and up-to-the-minute information is available here.

++
Footnote: I had the pleasure of sharing lunch with Rachel and her mother Julia last Thursday as Rachel addressed my Rotary club about autism awareness (and concluded with a wonderful rendition of Gershwin's Summertime)
++

My wife also pointed me to the Autism Mini-Grants for 2008, $500 that can help fill in the gaps, if it fits, consider applying by April 18, 2008.

No comments: